Hodgetts Estates is committed to sustainability and has set a very high target for this development to be “The Greenest Business Park in the West Midlands”. The proposals incorporate the following features and building standards:
- Targeting a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ Rating for all buildings;
- Energy Performance Certificate ‘A’ Rating for all buildings;
- Speculative buildings to be built to UK Green Building Council’s ‘Net Zero Carbon Ready’ standard for construction;
- At least 10% of energy generated from on-site renewable or low carbon sources, and ensuring all buildings can be adapted to accommodate existing and future technologies, e.g. solar panels;
- Air and ground source heat pumps to provide heating to all offices;
- Recyclable structure and cladding system;
- Use of low environmental impact and bio-based materials that also provide good insulation;
- Electric vehicle charging points and ‘rapid’ charging points, with ducting provided to all parking spaces to future proof the development;
- Ducting provided to lorry parking spaces for fully electric and hybrid electric lorries, to future proof all service yards and the overnight lorry parking facility;
- Rainwater harvesting to reduce water consumption, for measures such as flushing toilets, landscape watering and vehicle/interior cleaning;
- Minimise construction waste;
- Develop a Sustainable Travel Plan to minimise single occupancy vehicle trips to and from the site; and
- Conserve and enhance biodiversity and achieve a biodiversity net gain across the site.
A Design Code will be submitted incorporating the features and standards listed above, which will become an approved planning document to ensure these commitments would be part of any reserve matters applications.